Dropzone event booklet, ticket booking & the new forum

Welcome to the new FireFight forum!
dorward

Dropzone event booklet, ticket booking & the new forum

Post by dorward » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:05 pm

Brace yourself for a flurry of announcements because I have three for you tonight.

The Dropzone 2019 event book is ready and available for download from the website. Special thanks to Claire for all her work on that.

https://www.firefight.org.uk/events/dropzone/2019/

Booking for Dropzone 2019 is open. You'll find a link on that page too. It's a brand new booking system, so we might have a few teething problems, but I'm hoping the testing we've done will avoid any.

You can now book multiple tickets at once which will simplify things if you are booking for the whole family. In a couple of weeks, booking will open for the September 2019 and March 2020 High Frontier weekend games and you'll be able to book for them in one go.

The biggest changes to the booking system are under the hood and will make all the admin easier for Paul and Jenny.

Finally, we have a shiny new forum, which you are looking at now. The URL is https://forum.firefight.org.uk and is linked from the top of every page of the website. Special thanks to James for his efforts in getting it set up and configured.

This comes about for a number of reasons, including the difficulty in finding any past discussions on Facebook. You might find the moderators of the Facebook group encouraging you to move discussion to the forum.

Thanks to everyone involved in getting these new features set up and tested.

Rogue Colonel

Re: Dropzone event booklet, ticket booking & the new focum

Post by Rogue Colonel » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:36 pm

Hi all, as a follow to David’s post I would like to invite you all to connect to the new Firefight forum. You can use your Facebook login or create your own separate account, both will require you to have a valid email address for confirmation!

As to running both places, I envisage a transition time of around a month whilst people create their accounts and get used to the new environment. We will not be closing the facebook page down but general chat and discussion should begin to happen on this forum. If you have any issues with registering accounts or any other part of the forum then the team looking after it can be reached at forum@firefight.org.uk. I would just like to add my thanks to Dave Dorward for all of his assistance in the forums creation.
"So that's it, then? Two Hail Marys and don't shoot any more civilians?"

SimonB

Re: Dropzone event booklet, ticket booking & the new forum

Post by SimonB » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:19 pm

OK, so I've gone through the motions of making a Dropzone booking, but it doesn't actually tell me how to pay. There's no link or anything.

Bear in mind that I don't have a PayPal account. And I don't particularly want a PayPal account, either.
There's no engineering problem that can't be solved with a big enough hammer.

dorward

Post by dorward » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:25 pm

I had originally intended to include a link which populated PayPal with most of the data for the order, but that ended up being delayed due to admin issues and I neglected to put a plain link in there in the meantime. I've added that now (and it should be live in a few minutes).

The payment page says:
Unless you have made other arrangements with the game organiser and the treasurer, please pay £xx.xx to paypal@firefight.org.uk using PayPal.
So if you object to using PayPal, then please agree another payment method with Jenny.

Rogue Colonel

Post by Rogue Colonel » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:53 pm

Can't we post up a regular booking form and give the option of paying via a cheque or possibly BACS?

dorward

Post by dorward » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:10 pm

I raised the possibility of using BACS at TagCon and the reaction was one of mass horror. So I'm not in a rush to wave that around.

I'll look at changing the wording so to include an address to send a cheque to.

Rogue Colonel

Post by Rogue Colonel » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:16 pm

Point taken re BACS but I do think at the very least we need to offer some kind of alternative payment methodology, not everyone uses Paypal but I'm not sure where my chequebook is.